Pages

Friday, December 22, 2006

Lots of Bonuses

Well, Sammy D. made it and is currently slumbering away, safe and sound in my mom's guest room. She ended up deciding to drive here from L.A. yesterday after discovering that she would not be able to fly out until 3 p.m. on Christmas Eve, which is just silliness. So she hopped in a rental car and drove twelve hours to get to her family. The bad thing is that she has to drive back, too, since the rental place wouldn't let her do a one-way. A lot of car time for her - way too much - but I am grateful to have her here, and with the stepsiblings and their spouses/fiances, my sweet nephew and just general family craziness, it should be a pretty good holiday. We'll be doing lots of running around, trying to cram in visits with everyone, but I'd rather do that anyday than have no one at all to see.

Yesterday I got a Christmas bonus, which shocked me to death considering that it was my FOURTH DAY ON THE JOB. And it was enough that I can now get a few little Christmas presents for my family, since my original plan was going to be just like every year for the past few years: to not give anybody anything and feel like shit about it, bitter and resentful about being broke. I really should use it toward my cell phone bill since it's pretty much reached epic proportions, but I just want to take advantage of the first opportunity I've gotten in a long time to give things wrapped in shiny paper and ribbons to the people I love. I know it's the thought that counts, but right now my thought is to let my family know that they count, and what better way to do that than by racing through the aisles in a last-minute panic and picking up random meat-and-cheese boxes on clearance at the local Wally World? Oh yeah, when I show my love, I class it up as much as possible. At any rate, I am very grateful for the surprise of this Christmas bonus, and it makes me want to work really hard for this company and show them that they made a good choice in hiring me. I already really like my job and I am curious to see what the future may hold.

I have a few other amazing things that are happening in my life right now that I would love to write about, but now is not the right time. I am actually considering making my blog private so that I can actually say the things I need/want to say, but right now I'm still just mulling it over. I have loved the openness of my blog through this point, but I don't love having to censor my own self and the things that are going on for the sake of being too open and letting the wrong readers read the wrong things. So I am going to leave it as it is for now - probably through the end of the year - and if anyone out there wants to muddle through my ramblings with me after that, let me know and I will send you a password. If that's what I decide to do, and if I can even figure out how to do it in the first place. It makes me sad to think about, honestly. We'll see.

Back to planning my list of fabulous Christmas treasures to pick up from the local megahellstore...

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Yaaaay, family Christmas!! I'm so excited for the shenanigans to come.Really, you should start posting your blog on MySpace because the people that want to read it can just subscribe to your page. Or you can approve only the people you want. I love you and I'm so happy we get to be together for Christmas.

Raul Duke said...

Sounds like things are looking up for you in your new place. I hadn't read your blog in a while but it's always a good read. If you password protect it, by all means send me one.