Pages

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Somewhere in Middle America

I ask you, how can I possibly manage to keep my posts upbeat when people insist on leaving me?

I am losing another friend to the clutches of a different state! This time, it's the Brick Fausch (Angie) that's leaving. She's off to Omaha for a new job. I'm so happy for her, and she's from Nebraska so she's got a lot of family close by, but it still sucks a big one. Honestly, I'm kind of in disbelief right now, mainly because she found out yesterday that she got the job, and she is already starting on the ninth, so she's got less than a week to pack her stuff and get out there. She's been looking for a job for a few months now while doing some freelance work for the advertising agency that she left, and in the past month and a half or so, she's been applying to jobs in other states just to see what's out there. There was potential for one in Kansas City, but she went out there and realized she wouldn't like it there. Then an interview came for a position in Seattle, but it wasn't too appealing, either. I kind of thought maybe she'd give it up and stay in Denver, and then the freakin' cornhuskers called! Dang it! Thanks for stealing my friend, Oma-HA!! I hope no one writes any more songs about you!

I'm trying to keep it really upbeat here because I am really very sad. Angie moved out here almost five years ago, and we met back when I was a store manager for Casual Corner. She had to do training in my store for a position as an assistant in another CC store in a different mall, and we just hit it off completely, right away. Normally, I'm not a big advocate of pursuing outside friendships with people I work with. I don't even really have a good reason, other than that I'm just bizarre like that. I have always really enjoyed the people I work with, but then as soon as I leave a job, I'm horrible at keeping in touch and eventually, things just fritter away. Ironically, I met Edie at Casual Corner, too, and so it's funny that she and Angie are both work friendships that I have maintained, and plan on maintaining as long as possible. It's funny; I remember I had to interview Edie and I didn't want to at all because I could immediately tell that she would be a cool girl to be friends with, and I just felt hokey being all formal and manager-ish when I knew instantly that we would become friends. Huh! Guess that could be why I didn't make a great manager! I can't boss people around when I want to be their friend instead! That's just silly! Anyway, that's pretty much how it was with Angie, too. We became friends from the second she came into my store, and we haven't stopped since.

When my dad died, among the many calls I made and received that Sunday morning in December, I called Angie in absolute hysterics. She came over to my apartment right way and stayed with me while my cousin Alex was there trying to get me a flight to Montana. My husband was in Oklahoma at the time, having just gotten there two days before because HIS dad wasn't doing well. It was a horrible time for all of us, but that's another post. Angie got my clothes together and brought me a suitcase to pack it all in. As a matter of fact, GREAT - NOW what am I gonna do? Every time I've had to fly anywhere in the past few years, I've always used Angie's very big, very durable suitcase! She got it for graduation, and we always joke that I use her suitcase more than she does, and it's probably true. Now, not only am I going to have to make new friends here, they're gonna have to be friends with kick-ass luggage! Submit your applications now! My "luggage" shamefully consists of various shoulder bags I've received over the years as "gifts with purchase" at department store make-up counters. Oh wait, there is the giant duffle bag my husband brought to the marriage! Thank God I married a man with assets! However, he had that thing in Oklahoma when I needed it, thus the need for Angie's suitcase, once again.

Now who's gonna use you for your material possessions, Brick Fausch? Didjya think of THAT?

Anyway, Angie packed my suitcase while I ran around my apartment half out of my mind trying repeatedly to call my sister who didn't know about Dad yet (the one time she left her cell home to charge while she went out to breakfast with a friend). She made sure I ate (which I usually never have a problem doing), loaded me up in her car and took me to the airport, where she stayed with me until we got to the security check point. This was after she had gone home to get me her suitcase, prepared her stuff to pack, gassed up her car, and told me she was ready to drive me to Montana whenever I gave her the word. Luckily, Alex had managed to find me a flight out that night so poor Angie didn't have to be subjected to eight hours across three states with a crying crazy lady. I mean, driving through Wyoming about makes me want to cry, anyway, so it would have been particularly brutal if that drive had taken place.

I have a ton of things I can write about Angie, but that time is the most significant for me right now because it was also such a horrible time. My best friends were so amazing during the aftermath of my dad's death and then Christmas. I don't know what I would have done without them. I haven't been able to put into words (we're big sticklers for thank-you notes in my family) how I could ever possibly thank them all for everything they did for me and my family. I know I need to, to show them all how much I completely appreciate and love them, but I just can't DO it yet. And those first few hours of knowing my daddy was gone forever, of Angie crying with me, talking to my family, taking care of me and getting me on my way - how can you ever thank someone for that? Can someone please tell me? Because now, not only am I going to have to do that and do it quickly, but I also have to put it in a goodbye letter!

This is the second time in two weeks that Nebraska has played a part in my friends moving away. I'm really beginning to hate that state.

7 comments:

Killjoy said...

I'm sorry to hear this news. It makes me think of "Krishizzle." She's been my "Angie" for 13 years and now I'm leaving her. I sat last night trying to think of a toast for her at the wedding reception, but I can't. Not yet. That will be one profound post come time, though. Again, I'm sorry. There's a lot of ways to have fun with it, though. I can't wait to start putting packages together for Kris.

sdleisher said...

You know you almost bring tears to my eyes saying you hate Nebraska...tears of joy!!! BOOMER SOONER!!!!! GO OU!!!!

Grace said...

I hate the State of Alberta. Wait, I'm in Canada so it's a province. Let me start again. I hate the province of Alberta. It first took my best friend, then my sister (well not really her but my two nieces) and my brother (well not really him but when his kids move there to be with him).I hear you. Those types of friends are so hard to come by. I remember all the times my friend L was leaving and we cried over all the times we cried together. And I'm not even a crier. My attitude's always, "stop being a pansy-assed baby."The thing with friends like that are, while you really want to say thank you and there's no way you know how, there's never really a need. Friendships are never 50/50. Someone's always taking more at any given time than giving and vice versa. There'll be a time later on when she'll need you and you'll be there. Because you're that type of friend too.

goblinbox said...

Nebrasky's evil. No doubt about it.

Laura said...

I say we get rid of Nebraska all together... :D~L.

Boonzie said...

JoyCo - I know; I have thought about you and Krishizzle having to go through that same thing! It just sucks, but I do know that the best friendships last, no matter how many miles separate you.Noodle - You are so insane. Thank you for your ability to always relate something to sports. Have you gotten my anniversary present yet? No OU cheerleading outfits, please!Grace - I could say I'm not a crier, but anybody who's been around me even for a small amount of time knows it's not true. I'm sappy as hell; I get it from Dear Ol' Dad. Thanks for your kind words! I really do hope I reciprocate half of the things my friends do for me...Mush - I hear ya. Stinkin' friend stealing state!Laura - I'm with you, sistah!

Angi said...

So...are we boycotting the state of Nebraska????