Pages

Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Amanda, Meet the Rug.

Now, try to stay on your feet while it gets pulled out from under you…

My life is in complete upheaval right now.  I just started a new job, we jammed all of our stuff in storage, moved out of our house and now we are temporarily staying at my mom’s house to be closer to my work until the company relocates back to the Grand Junction area in September.  Our move took the entire month of March because I couldn’t afford any time off and having a two-year old at home didn’t allow for Sean to get a hell of a lot done during the day.  On top of that, the same week I started my new job, I started teaching a spin class at the gym on Wednesday nights (which I LOVE!), so between that, learning my new position and commuting up and down from Rifle to GJ several times a week to fit it all in, I’m a bit strung out.  We had our final walk-through on the house last Saturday, got our deposit back and in the bank to save for our move back to The Junk in a few months, and now we just have the task of settling in at my mom’s while not making it seem like we’ve completely taken over her home.

 All fine and dandy and insane, except that Sean, who has been steadily looking for employment for the past two years, suddenly received a call on Sunday afternoon about a job he applied for over four months ago.  In Durango.  Not only is the guy extremely interested in Sean, but he is heading down to Durango tomorrow for an interview on Thursday.  He was all but offered the job on the phone, and there is potential for it to morph from a shop foreman job, which is where he’d be starting, into a drafting and detailing position.  This is where that shiny new degree of his will come in handy – finally!  He hasn’t been able to find anything in his field since way before he even graduated and the potential in The Junk had come to a screeching halt, which is why we decided to focus on my job.  Plans to move up weren’t panning out for me in my full-time position at the gym, so I moved on to a company with opportunity for long-term growth and advancement.

Now, we have some hard decisions to make.  We aren’t going to do anything rash until we see how the interview goes, but Sean is pretty excited about this, which means we have to think about our future from all angles.  We have his kids to consider and how often we’ll get to see them.  I have to research what job prospects will look like for me, and whether it’s possible for me to find something that allows me to stay with Isla more, which I would love.  The fact that I’ve just started a great job doesn’t make it easier, though.  The cost of living is more expensive, which means we won’t be able to afford lots of space.  We will be closer to Sean’s family for a change, which would be great – he hasn’t spent more than a few random weekends in Durango in the past 20 years.  We both have friends in the area that we never get to see and I even have some family a few hours away, so it’s not like we would be moving to a place where we don’t know a soul.  Durango is an adorable town and the first time Sean and I visited, I bugged him and bugged him about how much I’d like to live there.  Well, now.  Almost six years later, I may get my chance, whether I’m ready or not.

Oops.  There goes the rug. 

2 comments:

Your Old Auntie said...

How did it go ????? xoxoxoxoxo

Amanda said...

Looks like things are a go... Zoiks!