Pages

Thursday, September 01, 2011

Almost Fall!

Ahhhh, today!  This moment. This morning.  This new start.  Have I mentioned that I love September?  I love Fall in general - it's my favorite season - and every September trumpets the advent of change.  Maybe it's a holdover from the days of new Trapper Keepers on which to scribble the names of my latest crushes and the new clothes to show off as I'd start the next school year.  It could be the anticipation of the endless colors as the trees begin to morph into their last and most beautiful phase, shedding their leaves and waiting to reveal their new greenery in the Spring.   It might be simply the change in the air as the weather cools, bringing the promised fragrance of burning wood in cozy fires, hot apple cider and cinnamon-scented pinecones.


Whatever it is, I will revel in it and begin again myself.  Opportunities for change lay in store for me if I'm only willing to take them, and I'm so very ready.  In light of last time's gloom and doom - and admittedly, after feeling quite sorry for myself for more than a few days -  I have decided to cast aside the negativity and begin September  with five things I'm grateful for in regards to this little weight-loss journey of mine.  Here goes:


  1. My body.  I know it seems silly, given my near-hysterical rant in my last post, but I'm grateful for my body.  It moves freely, unencumbered by any disease, malady or injury that would make it difficult to do otherwise.  It does what I tell it and sometimes, it even does what Bo tells it!  I can take a walk when I want to take a walk and do any number of other things whenever the mood strikes me (except pull-ups).  I am grateful for my body because I know how lucky I am to have one that works.

  2. My sister.  I am grateful for my sister because she has listened to my weight dramas over and over, for probably longer than either of us cares to remember, and she looks at it with a fresh set of eyes and new words of advice each time.  She is so sane and wise that I often find myself wondering who is actually the big sister.

  3. Spanx.  I am grateful for Spanx,  If you don't know what I'm talking about, you either don't need it (LUCKY!) or you just haven't been introduced to it yet.  Miracle worker.

  4. My job.  I am very well aware that I'm extremely lucky to have an amazing gym available to me at all times, with state-of-the-art equipment, a wide variety of fun and interesting classes, and a ridiculously supportive team of people who only want to help others get healthy and improve their quality of life.  I love the role that I get to play in making that happen, and in turn the people who I meet become the very same who cheer me on through my own victories.

  5. My own tenacity.  I know that no matter how difficult it gets, or how much I want to throw myself down in a temper-tantrum to rival any two-year old's when I can't get that scale to move, I also know that ultimately, I will keep trying.  I have to, and I want this.







Here's to September!



No comments: