Pages

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Terms of Measurement

My wedding band is threatening to sneak off of my finger and become forever lost.

My soon-to-be former Favorite Fat Pants for Work slide off and on without use of the buttons or zippers.

The look of wearing my husband's coat is going from embarrassingly well-fitting to sloppy ridiculousness.

My belt has gone under the knife twice.

My girls have chosen to stay discreetly tucked within their wire confines rather than dangerously risk obscenity and mortification with the threat of popping buttons at any given opportunity.

My feet are slipping around in boots that are taking on that odd "galumphing" sound as they get to be too big.

I find myself agreeing more and scoffing less when the skinny chicks constantly complain that the office is freezing.

* * *

These are the terms of measurement I use to track my progress through this altogether frustrating and rewarding experience I like to call "NOT STAYING FAT!" I look in the mirror and I truly don't see anything - I will know that I have made some serious progress upon the return of my collarbones; probably another 15 pounds or so - but I think it's because, hey, it's my body. I'm used to seeing it every day. You would think that would make it easier to detect actual physical changes, but I don't really think that's the case. Which is totally fine. The scale and the other subtle clues are my success barometer.

My husband says he can see it. Like for instance when he pointed out that when I wear my glasses, they sit on my nose instead of on my cheeks. I had to laugh at that one.

I still have an extraordinarily long way to go considering that I'm not even close to halfway there yet, but OH YES, it's workin'.

I am workin'.

10 comments:

Killjoy said...

This totally made me smile. Way to go, Chica. (and thanks for your kind words. I know the time is coming for you, too, and I wish I could do something to stop it in its tracks. You know you have my thoughts, too.)

Samantha said...

I got nothing but "WAHOO's" for you. I'm so happy. I love you Amanda Lou.

Boonzie said...

Thanks Christie. It's funny how you remembered, because just the other day I was wondering how you were doing with Christopher being gone, since he died just a few days before my dad. I've been out of contact with blogs for a few weeks, but I was touched to see such a wonderful post you had done about your nephew today.Sam D. - thanks, sis. I hope I don't talk about it too much. I don't want to be one of "those" people. It's just kind of exciting to feel kind of excited, you know? :) EYE HEART EWE.

Mia Goddess said...

Yay Boonzie! It's amazing that you're doing so well at this time of the year, when so many people (ahem) just put their hands up... I know these next few weeks, they'll be tough for you and your family. Keep taking care of yourself, I'm sure it's what your dad would have wanted. xoxo Mia

Jen said...

This is great...I am happy for you.Hey, one of my favorite parts of loosing weight is how my clothes fit. I love the feeling of my clothes fitting better, even more than the number on the scale getting lower. Keep up the good work.

Raul Duke said...

Work it Boonzie! You're right, you won't notice as much when it's your body because as you said, you see it every day. Congrats on your progess, just keep at it.

Laura said...

Oh yeah...uh huh...oh yeah...uh huh...I'm doing the happy dance for you!!! I know the sound of this might mortify you (it did me, before I lost weight), but have someone take your pic-a full body shot (clothed..er..or not...) and compare them to photos taken within the last year. I guarantee you WILL see it. And for heaven's sake...buy a new belt!!! If it has needed surgery twice, I think you've earned it. ~L.

Chris D. said...

Way to go on the weight loss. That is totally awesome.

Boonzie said...

Thank you EVERYONE for the encouragement and kind words! I had no idea how much the excitement from others can hold someone up!!

katrina said...

wow. I know I'm totally popping in on a post from a freakin month ago - but wow! Your shoes are too big. That amazes me- and excites me. thanks!